Ever wondered who is the best urologist in Chennai or where can you find the best urology hospital in Chennai? Internet is full of information but how much of that is true? How do you evaluate a urologist or a urology clinic for its treatment? Before getting into all of it, let’s see what the urologists and urology clinics have to offer and what conditions are treated.
In simple terms, a urologist specializes in treating problems related to the bladder, urethra, ureters, kidney, and adrenal glands.
Conditions treated by a urologist
- Urinary Tract Infections. When the bacteria from the digestive tract enter the urethra, that can cause Urinary Tract Infection. Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infections include:
- Pain or burning sensation during urination
- Incontinence – Involuntary leakage of urine when you laugh or sneeze or lift weights
- Fever and Chills.
UTIs are more frequently seen in women than men but men do suffer from Urinary Tract Infections.
- Urinary Incontinence. Involuntary leakage of urine when you cough or laugh or life-heavy weights. This is usually caused when the pelvic muscles lose their strength for different reasons including age, pregnancy, vaginal childbirth, etc. Women with multiple vaginal childbirth can see the symptoms worsen with each delivery.
- Male Infertility. Any kind of injury or damage (during surgery) to any of the male reproductive organs such as testicles or vas deferens can lead to infertility. Medical conditions such as varicocele (swelling of a vein in one testicle) can also lead to infertility when not identified and treated on time.
- Kidney stones and other kidney-related diseases. Kidneys may get infected when Urinary Tract Infection spreads to the kidneys. This usually happens when the symptoms of UTI are ignored. Also, kidney stones pose a threat to the normal functioning of kidneys. Different types of kidney stones exist based on the material that helped them to form in the kidneys.
Swelling of hands, high blood pressure, and ankles are typical symptoms of problems with kidneys. Any medical condition related to kidneys has to treat on an emergency basis so that the kidneys don’t fail. Failure of kidneys may put the person on dialysis for life or even cause death.
- Cancers are related to the bladder, kidneys, etc. The bladder, kidneys, prostate gland, testicles are prone to the development of cancer cells. This can affect the sexual health of the person and also the general health as well. A trained urologist will be able to identify the cancerous condition and will be able to treat you depending on the stage of cancer.
- Enlarged prostate. Also called ‘Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BHP), is a condition when the cells inside the prostate gland overgrow constricting (compressing) the urethra. Compression of the urethra leads to difficulty in peeing/emptying the bladder.
- Erectile Dysfunction and problems with penis and testicles. A urologist will be able to fix you up if you are having problems having an erection, or ejaculating prematurely or if your testicles are having issues producing enough sperm.
- Peyronie’s disease. A condition when scar tissue develops beneath the penis that causes the penis to bend. This can make it difficult for the man to have sex.
- Infection or inflammation of the prostate gland problems is also treated by a urologist. Prostatitis can show symptoms such as painful urination or painful ejaculation.
- Cryptorchidism or Undescended Testicles. Before birth, the testicles descend into the scrotum for any male baby. If they don’t, your doctor can wait for some time after birth to see if they descend. In the case of undescended testicles, surgery may be required to get the testicles into their rightful place and close the abdominal opening (inside) so that body fluids don’t leak in to the scrotum.
- Urology problems in children. Just like adult women, kids also face some problems such as Urinary Tract Infection, undescended testicles, etc.
Now, here are few steps to follow when you are trying to find a good urologist in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, or a good urology clinic near you:
- Browse through the profile of the doctor. The educational qualification, the specialties, and the experience of the doctor are of utmost importance. You need to lay more importance on the doctor’s experience because an experienced specialist may have most likely seen your issue in many other patients in the past and will be able to diagnose your issue easily and treat it right.
That doesn’t mean, you can eliminate relatively younger doctors. There do exist great urologists even younger specialists too.
- Look for reviews not just on Google but all over the internet including Facebook and other portals that has directories of doctors. There is a good possibility of getting paid reviews on Google but when all the internet is speaking the same good/bad about a doctor, we think there will be little doubt left in your mind when coming to an opinion about the urology clinic or doctor.
- How about the treatment cost for your issues? This is a tricky question and you will need to make sure that you should prefer to see a good doctor than the money that is charged. A multi-specialty clinic obviously charges more than a roadside clinic for obvious reasons and there do exist doctors from reputed clinics who charge thousands of rupees for an online consultation. You should call them up and check on their consultation charges and before getting any test or surgery done, you should enquire with them about the cost.
- Look if your insurance covers your medical problems. If you are carrying medical insurance, you need to check with the hospital/clinic insurance team if your treatment costs are covered. If not, you may have to speak to your insurance company about it.
Spend some time in front of your computer to do your research and always shortlist 2 doctors, just in case you may need a second opinion in your case.